Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Low carb coconut cream pie


I had been searching a searching for a low carb coconut cream pie, but all I found were custards or pies that you had to use xanthan gum or gelatin and I don't like either one too much, so I decided to take my chocolate pie recipe and change it up a bit to make this one.

I finally also found some coconut milk that was lower in carbs, only 1 carb per 1 cup

so for this pie I used a coconut flake crust, but for lower carbs next time I will do an almond flour crust I think.

Crust - 3 tbls of butter or coconut oil melted in your pie pan (I melted mine in the oven directly in the pie pan)
once your butter or oil is melted add some sweetener and about 1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes or 1 1/2 cups of almond flour or almond meal and pack down into the pie plate and bake until browned

Pie filling - 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream - or to lower carbs just use 2 cups of your coconut milk
1/2 cup of erythritol
1/4 cup of splenda essentials 
3 eggs
1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 tsp of vanilla
pat of unsalted butter

____________________________________________
Mix your sugars together and then add your milk and eggs, bring to a boil stir constantly, once it comes to a good boil turn off heat and add your vanilla, butter, and coconut flakes and set aside to cool just a bit, once cooled down pour your pie filling into your crust and let cool and set in the frig for at least 2-3 hrs before serving - add a whipped topping if you choose.

* as a side note - these are the sweeteners I used but if your like me you will like to tweak things to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment